Friday, February 15, 2013

Beginnings & Endings

The two children loved each other so dearly that they always walked about hand-in-hand whenever they went out together, and when Snow-white said: 'We will never desert each other,' Rose-red answered: 'No, not as long as we live;' and the mother added: 'Whatever one gets she shall share with the other.'  - The Red Fairy Book

Snow White:

Before I leave, I need to write down what happened. And since it's not just my story, it's her story, too, well, she's going to tell you what happened as well.

My name is Snow White and her name is Rose Red. We are sisters and yes, those are our real names. Our parents thought they were being clever, since we were twins (fraternal, not identical - you do not know how often I have had to explain the difference to people who say that we don't look alike), but I would have rather been named something different. Like, I don't know, anything.

Instead, every Halloween, our parents dressed me up like a Disney character, while they usually dressed my sister up like Red Riding Hood (because there aren't any Rose Red costumes, natch). The perils of being named after fairy tale characters, I guess.

Our childhood was pretty uneventful, as childhoods go. We rebelled against our parents when we reached our teenage years, of course, but it wasn't like we starting doing any drugs or hard partying. I had never even slept with a boy.

That changed a few days ago.

That's when I became a monster.


Rose Red:

She's not a monster. She just has a monster inside of her.

It's complicated. She's still my sister, but sometimes she's not. Sometimes she forgets. That's why she wants to leave. I want to go with her. I know she won't hurt me, but she says it's too dangerous.

Too dangerous my ass. I almost got killed by a fucking monster and she says it's too dangerous to be around her.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I should start at the beginning, at what happened a few days ago.

It started, naturally, with a boy and a bouquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment